29-05-2014

Final word from Marcella and Niki

Marcella

Like all good things, La Grande Bouffe came to an end too. I do have mixed feelings about it, I’m feeling satisfied for the great job done in collaboration with Patricia, NIki, the Belgian staff and the CinemìCinemà staff over the last two and a half years but I’m sad at the same time ‘cause it’s over!
I personally think it was a success, we’ve been able to create a link between our two countries which goes beyond stereotypes and what we can find in school or guide books.
The idea of choosing food and videos gave us the chance to discover our cultures through these two languages we can consider universal although different in each country. The difference of age between our groups of students wasn’t a real obstacle in the end since living in the same house for 10 days and doing activities together were the right keys for friendship. It was an experience Italian families and students won’t easily forget, for some of them it was the first time they had opened up their family to a stranger who after a few days had magically become a member of their family. Friendship and overcoming language barriers are the real core of an international project in fact, two reasons I truly believe in. I myself have made some friends too!
I know a lot of things could have been done better, but I like to see it positively and it’s the smile of our students receiving the prizes during the Award Night Ceremony I will treasure in my memory! Last but not least many thanks to everyone for their personal contribution to the project!

Niki

It all started in february 2012 meeting Marcella, an English teacher in Arezzo. Her moviemaking assistants Mirco and Michele where “the cherry on top of the cake”. We knew immediately … this project will work! We discovered Arezzo in the snow and even then it was an amazing experience.
We’ve worked together during 2 whole years, I cannot say how many emails we have sent but it was a lot. Even these days we’re still working together.
The idea that our project La Grande Bouffe is almost finished makes me sad … when I look back I  can see the Italian students in “freezing cold and snowy Antwerp”, the beautifull city Arezzo, the movie school festival Cinemi Cinema, our students cooking for each other, dancing together, learning Italian and Dutch,  … I can keep telling stories, stories that nobody will forget. It was amazing every little step. We had our ups and downs, but that is part of a project as big as this was.
Our students had an amazing experience meeting their wonderfull hostfamilies. Learning how to communicate (even non-verbal) was so hard for them in the beginning but at the end … they didn’t need our help any longer. When I saw all the tears when we had to say goodbye … I knew … La Grande Bouffe was a success!
Last but not least I want to thank everybody who participated in our project, the teachers of KA Ekeren, teachers of Fossombroni, our proncipals, the Italian students, the Belgian students, Mirco, Michele, Elena, … and especially Marcella! Thank you!